AmeriCorps VISTA programs are administered through the Iowa Office of the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS). AmeriCorps VISTA members may be placed directly with Iowa nonprofit and government agencies through an agreement with CNCS to become a VISTA project sponsor, or an agency may request a member through an existing VISTA project. AmeriCorps VISTA project sponsors and host sites have varying degrees of responsibility for financial support of the VISTA members, depending on the type of VISTA position(s) they are awarded.
Types of VISTA Members
- Standard members—require no cash contribution from the host; instead the project sponsors provide necessary in kind resources, such as supplies, office space and equipment, and administrative support.
- Cost-share members—the project sponsor must provide funds to help meet the costs of the VISTA member’s living allowance, in addition to providing in kind support.
- AmeriCorps VISTA program awards will contain a combination of standard and cost-share member slots.
How to Apply to CNCS to be an AmeriCorps VISTA Project Sponsor
- Review the sponsor information on the AmeriCorps VISTA section of the CNCS website and contact the Iowa Office of CNCS to find out when and how to submit a concept paper.
- Those who have submitted a concept paper may be chosen to complete a full application.
- Applications for members are accepted on a rolling basis agencies are allowed to place members four times throughout the year.
- Project sponsors are responsible for overall management of the AmeriCorps VISTA program, including member recruitment and placement, reporting to CNCS, and supervision of members and project sites.
How to Apply to be an AmeriCorps VISTA Host Site
- Contact the Iowa Office of CNCS to request a list of any current AmeriCorps VISTA Project Sponsors who accept host site applications. (Intermediary programs are not always available).
- Complete and submit a host site application to the project sponsor.
- Host sites are typically responsible for recruiting their own VISTA member(s), assigning a site supervisor to support the member, and reporting to the project sponsor. Sites are usually expected to contribute financially to the project.
For more information about AmeriCorps VISTA, visit the AmeriCorps website (www.americorps.gov or contact the Iowa Office of the Corporation for National and Community Service at IA@cns.gov or 515.284.4816.