AmeriCorps State members provide direct services through placements with Iowa schools, nonprofits, state and local governments, and others. Examples of member service activities include tutoring youth, providing services to prevent child or domestic abuse, weatherizing homes, and recruiting community volunteers. Check out the Program Directory to see a list of current AmeriCorps State programs in Iowa.
- AmeriCorps State members serve full-time or part-time over a period of up to 12 months, depending on their program model.
- Typically, full-time and part time members serve a certain number of hours a week during the course of the program year, depending on the parameters of their program.
- Full-time members must complete a minimum total of 1700 hours
- Part-time members complete terms ranging from 300 to 900 hours
- At least 80 percent of a member's time is spent providing service and the remaining 20 percent may be spent in training with fellow corps members.
Qualifications for applicants:
- Must be at least 17 years old, but there is no upper age limit.
- Must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or lawful permanent resident alien of the U.S.
- If you do not have a high school diploma or GED at the time you begin AmeriCorps service, you must agree to work towards this while serving and obtain your diploma or GED prior to claiming your education award.
Ready to serve in AmeriCorps State? Start your application today at www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps or contact Volunteer Iowa at 800.308.5987 or email@example.com for information about programs that may have available positions.